We started out 1030 Friday morning with a trip to the pediatrician for what we thought was recurrent strep throat and would get some more antibiotics and go home. That has not been the case. She just talked to me for a minute and then looked at Landon and we realized he was not turning his head side to side, he was moving his whole body. So, she sent us on our way to DCMC emergency room for xray, ct, etc. with fear of retro pharangyeal abcess from the strep infection.
Above is a pic when we first got to the ER. He was tired and mad, and waiting for his daddy.
We had already had xrays and were waiting for more news.
The IV
It was confirmed he has a retro pharyngeal abcess and they want to see if it has pus that needs drained or if it will get better with antibiotics. He had two types of antibiotics there, and a steroid.
He played on the floor of his new room on a mat for a while, after he demanded a "real" bed and not a "baby" bed. They had oversized cribs for safety reasons, but agreed to a regular bed for him later.
he watched tv while we decided if we were hungry or not
then we took a cruise down to the cafeteria
we came back, and he "was not tired" and wanted to watch a movie, but he fell asleep anyway.
he was so tired this morning after his 645 am fight with the ENT doctor
we got him dressed and convinced the nurse to disconnect the iv fluids since it wasnt antibiotic time so that we could go explore the hospital
We were supposed to be on clear liquids, and softs, but we tried to step it up b/c last night and tonight we cant have anything after midnight. This is in case they do surgery to drain the abcess.
we went and walked more in all the courtyards, and played the toys we brought, and toys we bought. It the hospital stay doesnt break us, the sympathy gifts will. :)
We started or 3rd antibiotic this afternoon, so now we are getting three IV antibiotics. :( I am making myself a nervouse wreck because I know all the "what-ifs" because of work. And its worse because it is MY baby. I feel terrible for him. He can't turn his head side to side or look up because it hurts. He hates being hooked to the IV because he feels like he is tied down, which he is and he hates the blood pressure cuff. Now when they come in he says, "what now!?"
I hate that he is dealing with this, and I feel like I can't do anything for him. Hes uncomfortable, and I want it all to get better, without surgery. We are hoping to find out in the morning if we have any new additions to the plan.
{I cant imagine how Moms that have kids with chronic illnesses feel on a daily basis, this is so hard and so scary}


No comments:
Post a Comment